In a story first told to me by a friend who loves to exaggerate, I heard that Twitter may be the new way burglars are using to rob homeowners when they read online that they are leaving via tweets. "Ridiculous!" I said, but then googled it and found that he wasn't that far off; or at least in this one case. An Arizona man claims that last month, one of his two thousand something Twitter followers could have read his tweets, saw he was out of town, and broken into his house.
I can't believe that this would actually work. Have you guys read Twitter's public timeline? I picked some tweets that show that the people on this social networking site are anything but rob-while-they're-out-of-town-worthy. Burglars won't be scoring much from these people:
- uv2teach08 @PuddsMom trip's good so far. Hate being broke on vacation. Hard to relax counting every nickel.
- waltripwoman I forgot to turn on the trailer fridge last night. Where is my brain? Got to pack it up and gas up the truck. Luckily not leaving til noon.
- neeyan holy crap $37! :( I'm kinda in debt. And I think we're leaving to San Diego on Saturday… Why am I always going out of town?!
- krystyn13 Yay! just made a sale on Craigslist. this is how to get vacation money when you are as broke as me.
- Kaleila_J #unacceptable Going out of town with homies, but no money to spend… cmon now black people!
- PBDERRTY 6am jus leaving the Harrah's Casino wit @Nelly_Mo@Cityspud and @ucitytopher DAMNit I didnt WIN shit broke even, leave town in a few hours
- JeriPutman I should've opted out of going to town, I want to buy to everything…with no money!
- MrsTattooedgeek Summer vacation when you're poor is just a cruel joke.
- noone89 My laptop is broken and now I get to buy a new one, right before vacation. I love having no money :(
Good luck with that, robbers. Perhaps you should check out Affluence.org instead.